Friday, November 6, 2009

Yes I Got the Epidural and All the Other Things I Said I Wouldn't Do

Basically everything I said I wouldn't do when it came to labor and delivery I did. First of all I said I wouldn't be induced. However I changed my mind when my nurse practitioner asked me how I was doing at my last prenatal appointment. I teared up complaining about my discomfort, exhaustion, and weight gain. She offered the induction and I took it! Forget all the facts and info I had been cramming into my head about pitocin and artificial hormones. I wanted my little guy out! He was offically served his eviction notice. Then on Monday morning two hours after the pitocin bag was hung and my water broken I begged for an epidural. I allowed my contractions to go off the charts only a few times before giving in. Again, forget all the negative side effects I had read and blogged about. I take no pleasure in pain and I do not regret it at all. Because of the epidural labor and delivery was a breeze. I felt nothing after it kicked in and actually really enjoyed the entire process. That's not to say that women who go the natural route don't enjoy their baby's births but I personally wasn't going to be able to enjoy the birth of my baby while I was in pain. Hats off to the ladies who can go the natural route; it is good for you and your babies. What else have I done differently than I thought I would? I said I wouldn't use a pacifier or a bottle until Jareth was at least four weeks old. Well, the day we brought him home he kept sucking and rooting and crying but not eating. So I gave in and grabbed a paci for him. As soon as he got a hold of it he fell fast asleep. The bottle started about a week and a half in. I was exhausted from nursing at all hours of the night so Jon and I talked about it and decided that he could give Jareth one bottle per night so I could sleep longer. It's much better than my cranky 4:00 am breastfeedings. Momma needs her sleep too, even if she is the one home with the baby all day while papa works.

So here it is, I confess that, although I had good intentions with my predisposed notions about birth and childcare, I had no idea how things were going to go!

1 comment:

  1. You know, there are so many things that we plan for the birth and life of our children. All that matters is that mom and baby are happy and healthy....everything else is trivial. You're such a loving couple and that sweet little boy will have the most amazing life with you as parents.

    ReplyDelete