Friday, November 6, 2009

The Big "C"

I took Jareth to the urologist today for a consult on getting him circumcised. My Ob didn't want to do it at the hospital because there was a question about his foreskin and referred me to a urologist, although he nor the pediatrician saw an issues with it. I get to the urologist today and they decide to go ahead and do the precedure while we were there. I am all for circumcision and understand there are benfits to it but that doesn't mean I want my baby to be in pain even for a second. Plus after waiting almost three weeks I was completely comfortable with the way his penis looked and thought (and still think) he was perfect the way God made him. The plan had been for Jon to take him to get it done. I cried at the very thought of it so it made more sense for it to be a daddy/son thing. So today I was in mild shock when they decided to do it right then and there. As soon as the doctor said "okay let's go ahead with the procedure" I started to cry. Of course they see this in moms everyday but I still felt slightly embarassed at myself. After I gained composure they wisked Jareth away and sent me out to the waiting area where I continued to sob. About fifteen minutes later they brought him out to me. He was quite alert but very calm. I was relieved. I guess I expected him to come out of the room screaming or at least looking as if he had been through something torturous but he was fine. The nurse brought us back to a room where she showed me his circumcision and gave me directions for its care. Then we left and as soon as he was in the car he was out. He has been asleep for almost four hours straight now. Ive tried to wake him to nurse but he only did so for about ten minutes before getting cranky and going back to sleep. This won't be a very fun or restful night but I couldn't bear to make him stay awake after such a big day. I'm glad its finally done and it wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be. Now if I can only get the courage to give him a bath.....

No comments:

Post a Comment