Thursday, May 5, 2011

DIY Mother's Day Gift

If we call you "Mimi" STOP right here!!!! No Peaking! You have to wait until tomorrow!
{
{
{
{
{
{
{
{
{
{


For Mother's Day this year I decided to go DIY. I wanted to give my mom something different that I know she will love instead of spending money on something impersonal like a gift card. So, what does mom love? Scrapbooking, photography, plants, and of course Jareth. So I made her a "picture tree." I wish I would have taken photos along the way but I only thought to do this after I had made the final product. But here is how I did it.

Materials:
Some sort of planter in a fun bright color
Foam floral ball that will fit in your planter
Fake Moss
1 Sheet of scrapbook paper (or use 2 different colors)
Ribbon
Scrapbooking embellishments
Glue
Several of your favorite photos
Clothes pins
Tree branch of equal weight on both sides (fake or real will work, I used a real one)

Instuctions:
Stuff the foam ball into your planter tight so that it won't come out
Insert your branch into the center of the ball
Cover the foam ball with moss
Using clothes pins, pin photos to the branch trying to spread them out so that the entire branch is covered
Cut one small and one large square out of the scrapbook paper
Fold the small piece of paper in half and cut out a half flower design so that when it is opened you have a whole flower
Repeat with larger square of paper
Glue the smaller flower on top of the bigger flower to create depth and texture
Decorate the center of your flower and your branches with scrapbook embellishments
Glue your flower to the front of the planter
Tie a pretty ribbon to the handle of your planter




No comments:

Post a Comment