Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My Jeans Search

I finally went shopping for a pair of jeans a few weeks ago. I had said I wouldn't buy any "fat jeans" because I didn't want to spend money on something I didn't plan to wear very long. However, my husband was really tired of my sagging maternity jeans and pajama pants. So, off I went to the mall. First stop Express. I have always loved Express jeans. They had always given me the best fit and made my previously non-existent booty suddenly appear and at a great cost. So it was much to my dismay when I tried on a cute pair of boot cuts that made me look two sizes bigger than I actually am and gave me a horendous "muffin top." Ultra low rise jeans are not for those larger than a size four. So I went back to the shelves to find a pair of low rise or mid rise jeans perhaps with a little more stretch. Now I've always had a hard time finding good fitting pants/jeans and I am very particular about what I buy. I'm 5'4 and have short legs but a not so short torso. I can't always wear petite sizes but regular pants are always too long. I don't like jeans with big holes and tears in them. I leave those for the teenagers. And I'm pretty particular about the wash of my jeans. Not too blue and not too light. Express boot cut jeans size 4 short were always a perfect fit, they had a great wash, and I could get away with ultra low rise. But I am no longer a size 4. I was sad to find that they didn't have any low rise or mid rise boot cut jeans larger than a 4 in a short length in stock. I left slightly stung and missing my old body. Defeated I pushed Jareth through the mall trying to decide where I could get a pair of good fitting jeans for less than $60. I wasn't about to invest more than that on a pair of jeans that wouldn't fit (I hoped) for more than a month. Then I ran into a woman that I went to highschool with. She works at Dillard's so I asked her if she recommended any of the jeans they sell. She said no but she said that she always wears American Eagle jeans. I kind of furrowed my brow at the thought of American Eagle. I hadn't shopped there since highschool and just new it would be filled with teeny boppers complaining that the size 0 jeans they were trying on were too loose. But I decided to go anyway. I went straight to the first jeans section I found: Ultra low rise skinny jeans. Nope. Second section: Baggy Boyfriend jeans. Nope. Then I round the corner and there they are; boot cut mid rise jeans in a nice medium wash. I'm not sure what size to get so I pick up a 6, 8, and 10 in short length. Hopeful I headed to the dressing room. Thank goodness I tried on the 10 first and not the 6! I ended up in the middle with the 8 short. And guess what! They were only $40! It made me feel good to have a pair of jeans that fit. It's funny how something as simple as a pair of jeans can either ruin your day or give you a good boost of confidence. Oh, and guess what else...... those size 8s are getting loose! Time for another shopping trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment